THE GUESTHOUSE

Welcome to Mara Rivière

With an area of 127 sqm, with 3 bedrooms (max of 10 guests in a dormitory), a kitchen and a living room / lounge and a garden with a storage room for bike and repair station. The house has been entirely renovated and decorated, and can also be rented in full.

Charming Guesthouse, the cottage accommodates cyclists, hikers and tourists travelling on the bike path “Velo Francette” or on the way to Saint-Jacques de Compostelle, “Plantagenets path”.

A comfortable Guesthouse

Quality bedding

single or bunk beds (90x200cm)

Equipped Kitchen

Ovens, hob, dishwasher, refrigerator.

Garden & terrace

Tables, chairs, large umbrella and barbecue

Secured lockers

Secured individual locker

Utility room

Washing and drying with extra payment

Car Park

Free Parking next to the Guesthouse

Storage for bikes

Secure storage & repair station for bikes

Surroundings

Many sports and recreational activities are nearby the house (boat rides, mountain biking, archery, paddle boat, tree climbing, paintball, paddle, water skiing …).

Cycling tourism
in Loire Valley

A new Bed&Breakfast in Le Petit-Chenillé

Guesthouse on the "Velo Francette" road

Access

Train

Angers gare TGV : 39 kms (40 min.)
Laval gare TGV : 50 kms ( 50 min.)

Road

Paris : 300 kms (3h)
Le Mans : 100 kms (1h10)
Nantes
: 110 kms (1h20)

Nearby cities

Château Gontier : 17 kms (20 min.)
Le Lion d’Angers : 10 kms (12 min.)

Our story

Until the second half of the nineteenth century, the river Mayenne was the main axis of movement of people and goods in Maine netherlands. To Improve the traffic, marinières gates were built in the first half of the sixteenth century between Chateau-Gontier and Laval. Exports by the river of local products has contributed to the prosperity of the Maine netherlands between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

 

The need for economic development has further imposed improvement of navigation conditions. On the section between Laval and Mayenne, twenty dams equipped with locks and sluice with parallel bypass channel (in Montgiroux) were built.

Between Laval and Château-Gontier, twelve new sluice dams were substituted for the twenty-one marinières doors from 1853 and 1878. At the same time, south of Chateau-Gontier and to the boundary of Maine-et-Loire, three locks and a channel (near the town of Ménil) replaced six marinières doors between 1860 and 1864.

 

These buildings were part of a larger project to connect the Loire to the Channel by the valleys of the Mayenne, Orne or Vilaine rivers.

 

Since the 1970s, Mayenne opened to boating